There are definitely some benefits being a vExpert as we had the chance to attend a briefing about the long-awaited VMware vSphere Client For iPad. The briefing was embargoed until VMware CTO, Steve Herrod, released the news today.
So what’s this thing?
Imagine from anywhere, you can view key performance metrics and perform essential tasks in a simplified interface. That is the vSphere Client For iPad. Sure it is not meant to be functionally equivalent with the existing Windows client yet, but rather to perform the most common 80% of vSphere admins’ tasks. This is version 1.0, so give it some times to improve functionalities.
What are the functionalities available?
- Search for vSphere hosts and virtual machines
- Monitor the performance of vSphere hosts and virtual machines
- Manage virtual machines with the ability to start, stop and suspend
- View and restore virtual machines’ snapshots
- Reboot vSphere hosts or put them into maintenance mode
- Diagnose vSphere hosts and virtual machines using built-in ping and traceroute tools
What do I need to run the client?
- The iPad app available only through the iTunes store for free, that is zero bucks!
- The vCenter Mobile Access (vCMA) virtual appliance also available free of charge