Today at the VMware European HeadQuarters in Frimley, UK, I had the pleasure to meet Lee Dilworth (guy on the left). He is definitely the SRM guru and he kindly demoed us VMware SRM 4.0 on vSphere 4.0!!!
The software will be available next Monday, October 5th on VMware web site and it is called VMware SRM 4.0 although this is actually version 1.5, the guys from the marketing department thought it has to be leveled up to the same version number as vSphere.
Other tips on SRM:
- That new version is backward compatible with ESX3.5 and vCenter 2.5.
- Also starting up SRM setup from the command line with a special flag brings up 2 more windows during setup, allowing you to have multiple paired sites, what about that!
- With your SRM license you’re entitled to install it on 2 sites in an active/active setup aka failover/failback setup.
- SRM supports FT although after a failover to the recovery site, the VM will start up as a stand alone server
Now other general news:
- EMC is about to release its Storage Viewer for vSphere 4.0 for free. Its granularity has impproved a lot!
- vCenter4 U1 will be available next month (October 2009)
- A single vSphere license key can be split up in several licenses, for instance a license for 100 sockets can be split up in 2 licenses of 50 sockets for your primary and recovery sites for example.
- ESX is phasing out, ESXi is being pushed as THE hypervizor.
This was a very good inside of SRM 4.0. Now let’s roll it out 🙂
N.B. SRM 4.0 is now GA and Lee Dilworth just blogged about it; A Quick tour of SRM 4.0