What are the high availability options in a VMware environment?
- VMware High Availability (HA) provides high availability.
- VMware Fault Tolerant (FT) provides high availability.
- Microsoft Clustering (MSCS) provides high availability.
Great! They all provide high availability but I still don’t kow which one to pick up you would say 🙂
You need to ask yourself the right questions:
- How long can I afford a downtime?
- How complex my high availability setup can be?
Based on that you can choose the righ solution.
For example if I can’t afford a single second of downtime, VMware FT is the solution.
Or if you can afford a few minutes downtime and you don’t want a complex setup, go for VMware HA.
Microsoft Cluster provides a good high availability solution but it is a complex setup and unless it is an active/active setup, it is a waste of processor and memory resources.
Update: Hany Michael @ hypervizor.com just posted a superb article on the subject, worth a read and as usual, Hany’s videos and blue prints are excellent 🙂
Scott Lowe also posted an article on the subject, worth the read! Scott explores the advantages, disadvantages, similarities, and differences of the high availability options available.