Here are 2 issues (and their solutions) that can ruin your day installing vCenter on a Windows 2008 R2 x64bit.
- Creating a 32bit DSN
- Enable .NET Framework 3.5.1 features
- Start -> Administrative Tools -> Server Manager.
- From the left pane, select “Features”
- On the right hand pane, click “Add Features”
- Expand .NET Framework 3.5.1 Features
- Select only .NET Framework 3.5.1 (do not select WCF Activation as it will install IIS which conflicts with Apache Tomcat, which of course vCenter will install).
In order to create a 32-bit System DSN on a x64bit Windows 2008, you need to launch the ODBC manager from the following location: %systemdrive%\Windows\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe