Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008 R2 Features
- #1 Customer Requested Feature
- Processor Compatibility Mode
New Processor Support
- Improved Performance
- Lower Power Costs
- Support for 64 Logical Processors
- Support for up to 384 Running VMs or up to 512 virtual processors
- Greater VM Density
- Lower TCO
- Improved Network Performance
- 10 Gb/E Ready
Dynamic Virtual Machine Capabilities
- Live Migration
- Hot Add/Remove Virtual Storage
Boot From Flash
- SCONFIG Enhancements
That reminds me the huge differences between ESX2.x and ESX3.x. While ESX2.x was an interesting product such is (was) Hyper-V, ESX3.x was just superb… Hyper-V R2 is taking the same path.
But there is a huge difference here. It took 3 years to VMware to come out with ESX3.x then another 3 years to ESX4.0 whilst it took 18 months to Microsoft to come out with Hyper-V R2.
At that speed, Microsoft will come up with its 3rd generation of Hyper-V in 18-20 months while VMware will be still developing an ESX5
Watch out VMware!!!