ESX Server 3.5 and ESX Server 3i v3.5 enable large page support by default. When a virtual machine requests
a large page, the ESX Server kernel tries to find a free machine large page. Both the virtual machine monitor
and the guest operating system can request large pages. The virtual machine monitor requests large pages to
improve its own performance. The guest operating system or an application running on the guest operating
system requests large pages just as it would when running on a native machine. The ESX Server kernel
supplies large pages to the virtual machine opportunistically. When there is no free large page available, ESX
Server emulates a guest operating system large page using small machine pages.
To disable the large page support for the entire ESX Server host, take the following steps using the VMware
- In the left pane of the VI Client, choose the ESX Server host.
- In the right pane of the VI Client, click the Configuration tab.
- Choose Software > Advanced Settings. The Advanced Settings dialog box opens.
- In the left pane of the Advanced Settings dialog box, choose Mem.
- In the right pane of the Advanced Settings dialog box, set Mem.AllocGuestLargePage to 0.
- Click OK to close the Advanced Settings dialog box.
To disable guest operating system large page support for a virtual machine, add the following line in the
virtual machine’s configuration file: monitor_control.disable_mmu_largepages = TRUE